Monday, June 22, 2015

Exotic Backyard Birds

After being here three weeks we are loving it more and more here in the sunshine state. We don't have a home and all of our belongings are still in storage. Yet, it still amazes me that we are happier than we've ever been. The people here are so friendly, relaxed and kind. The neighbor lady brought me an African violet plant to welcome me to the community. I'm sure to kill it before it has a chance to call anyplace home. Until then, I will take any advice on how to keep it alive. Since my post last Thursday,we continue to patiently wait in this state of limbo, I'm using this time to acclimate myself to the weather and my surroundings. The variety of large birds in Florida fascinate me.
Indiana has cranes and heron. But the cranes and heron and other birds here in Florida aren't nearly as skittish as the ones in Indiana. I'm not sure what type of crane this is but I love the way he stands. He can stand like this for several minutes. I've often confused this type of bird for a lawn ornament. This is one of many unusual (to me) birds that I see every day outside "my" window. I say "my" window because Mi Miguel and I don't have a window or a home right now. So it's not actually "my" window.

I'm not sure what type of bird this is all white beauty is either. But, I do know that he is a crane and I can tell you that he doesn't like bread. In fact he scoffs at bread. I've learned that if you throw bread out for the birds you'll only attract crows and sea gulls.
This crane may be the same as the all white one above. He is much taller than the one pictured above. Every evening he flies to the same yard in hopes of the home owner will feed him. He also comes in every evening to her yard to do this...
play in the lawn sprinkler. He is a very lanky bird. Look at the way his neck curves when he walks...



isn't he gorgeous, almost swan-like. 

This may or may not be in the crane or heron family. When I first got here one or two would come across the lawn and poke their long skinny bills into the lawn. I have no idea what they are after. It seems to me they are an asset because they aerate the lawn for free. We started out with two but now four of them walk abreast in a line and vigorously poke holes in the lawn every morning. They lawn jab those long skinny bills clear to their eyes.
This little guy is a dandy to watch. He walks along the dock as if it is a balancing beam. He is very graceful. The feather on his head and on his tail can do amazing things when he is showing off his good looks. 
I caught a glimpse of this bird through the lanai window and thought he looked really peculiar. There is good reason why his bill looked odd. 



He had caught a fish that was almost too big for him to handle.
If you enlarge this photo you will see that he has a long stream of a feather growing out of the back of his head leaving it lay along his back. This too is a crane or heron, even though his legs are so short. He doesn't care for bread either.
Since my last post, Mi Miguel and I came across this peacock while taking a walk. He flew up on the neighbor's roof and then comfortably perched there; for the night I suppose.
I don't know anything about peacocks. I'm guessing he is sleeping up there to avoid predators like raccoons and dogs and so forth.


Last evening while Mi Miguel and I were relaxing on the lanai, I asked him if whooping cranes lived in Florida. He said he didn't know anything about whooping cranes. While googling, "Do Whooping Cranes Live In Florida" one landed across the water. So yes, Florida does have whooping cranes. It's not a good photo but it is a whooping crane.
As you can see, we are waiting patiently. Even though we don't have our belongings or a place to call home, we're content and enjoying the nature, the beaches and warm welcome we have received since moving here. 

I want to give a shout out to my husband for being a wonderful father to his children. I bought him a lemon tree and a lime tree for Father's Day yesterday. So let's watch and see if he can get them to grow. 

If you are following our Florida restaurants A-Z go to my Facebook page, Florida Warmth And Water. We went to our letter B restaurant. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment