Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Yes Muppies, Manners Do Matter

Since being on crutches I've learned a lot about people. It isn't the elderly that fail to show respect. It isn't the millennials that are rude, selfish and ill mannered. It isn't the little ones that are so demanding and defiant. No it isn't the other generations that are so very rude.
It has been my experience that it's my generation that wins for most rude people than any other generation. Yes,the baby boomers, more specifically the yuppies (the now middle aged) that are most likely to be inconsiderate and rude.
While in line, on crutches a middle aged, trendy, athletic looking woman nearly knocked me over to get ahead of me in line. I completely stopped walking so she could continue to cut in front of me while I attempted to steady myself on crutches. Standing back, I patiently waited for her load her plate with the gluten free or carb free or whatever kind of bread it was that she considered a prize for being the first one to get it on her plate. I simply stood back and let her do what she felt she needed to do.
She must have felt rude after she got what she wanted and had to walk by me again to get to her seat. She stopped in front of me and embarrassingly said, "I'm..." I cut her off and said, "Please don't say anything. Had you apologized five minutes ago it would have meant something. But to apologize after you accomplished what you set out to do, it doesn't come across as genuine. So, please just walk away and go on about your business and leave me in peace."
She had to sit by me at a nearby table with her husband for about forty five minutes before she was able to leave. I'm not sure if she learned anything nor does it matter to me. The important thing is that I definitely saw the message in that incident. It's clear to me now that what I have to do in my every day life is never more important than what someone else has to do in their every day life. 
It's not worth cutting people off in line because you feel your time is more precious than the person you're shoving aside. As part of my upbringing, I was taught to be kind to others and to help those that are struggling for whatever reason. The return on that investment is immeasurable.
Little children have offered to assist me with doors. Millennials have offered to carry things or let me go ahead of them. The very elderly on canes, walkers and in wheelchairs have stopped to smile or make sure that we are both comfortable before we proceed to walk by each other. We middle aged yuppies, we baby boomers should take pause and wonder if it's them or maybe, just maybe is it us?
 
The past few weeks have shown me that it's definitely the middle aged that are in a big hurry. It must come from the pressure of our yuppie generation that makes us feel we need to be so competitive and so rich and so successful. It was probably quite attractive to make more, to buy more and to shove people aside more when we were younger. But we are older now. Middle aged yuppies, we muppies should know by now that the "all about me" way of thinking might make you feel good about yourself for the moment. But, how does it make those around you feel?
I'm so grateful that Mi Miguel and I don't play that game anymore. When it comes to life, less is more folks. Manners will take you much further on the happiness path than boorish "all about me" behavior. There is a time and a place for everything. The "all about me" behavior is great when you are administering personal hygiene or having a few quiet moments to yourself. But if you don't mind, could you please save the "all about me" competitiveness for tennis court or whatever sport you play and not the line at Sweet Tomatoes.
What you do during the day is what allows you to rest your head peacefully at night. Always be kind and always be wise about it. Never let anyone confuse your kindness for stupidity. 

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring! Thank you for sharing your good thoughts...

    ReplyDelete