Tuesday, June 9, 2015

First Full Day



Today is our first full day as residents in Florida. It has been quite an adventure to get here. I'll backtrack into time and write about that throughout the blog. With Indiana behind us, our future in Florida ahead of us, let's begin this ride through my eyes. 

My goal with this blog is to: 

A)be up front and honest...it's my personality anyway. 

B)be informative about migrating to Florida in case you may want to do the same some day. 

C)keep a journal for future reference of our transition from being folks of the four seasons to being citizens of the sunshine state.

Let me introduce my husband and myself. This is my husband, his name is Michael. We are learning to speak Spanish together so I've started calling him Mi Miguel.

Mi Miguel is a bit shy. He prefers to relax on the beach as opposed to joining in on social gatherings. This photo was taken a few months ago while still in Indiana. Notice the sweater. He didn't bring it to Florida. He didn't bring any of his sweaters, jackets or coats. He donated all of the winter clothes in exchange for shorts, tees and swimming gear. His first Florida purchase...


...Hurly swim trunks or any kind of swim trunks he says are a must have for your first day in Florida. He would know he actually grew up in Florida and lived here the first eighteen years of his life.

Florida is not for everyone. It wasn't for me for the past thirty-one years of our marriage. Here's the reason why; it can get really hot in the summer months. The heat can actually be insufferable. I know I've experienced it through the years while vacationing here. The farther south you go in this state the more miserable June, July and August can be. The Florida heat brings humidity. I have natural curly hair.

This is my hair in it's natural state. It really is that bad. It was hot, humid and we were playing volleyball that day in Indiana. It doesn't get much worse than that...except in Florida. It gets way worse. I'm over fifty now and I simply don't care about my frizzy, big hair anymore. So, I chose to go from this...

 ...fluffy Midwestern fancy 'do to this...

...Florida beach ready style. It is humidity-proof but has to be straightened daily. Enough about the hair.

You should probably get to know Mi Miguel and me a little more before we move forward. This is us, Michael and Pamela or Mike and Pam. We have no preference. Below is a pretty good photo of us.

I've touched it up just a bit because we tend to look a little tired in photos.

I love the outdoors. Mi Miguel tolerates the outdoors unless if he is at the beach. Then he loves the outdoors. We both love to travel and we both hate tent camping.

Mi Miguel loves computers, I tolerate computers. We both love to try new restaurants and I love to cook. Mi Miguel hates to cook but will gladly help with the dishes when I cook. I love to cook so much that I tackled one hundred of Julia Child's recipes. For your viewing pleasure:

  www.cookingwithmyinnerchild.blogspot.com

That was my first blog back in 2009. Learning the technology of it all was very frustrating.

The movie Julie and Julia inspired me to take on such a project. Watch the movie, buy The Joy Of Cooking by Julia Child, cook one hundred of her recipes and then read Julie Powell's book, Julie and Julia. You will see that Julie Powell did not make 365 of Julia Child's recipe. I'll leave it at that. 

Yesterday we sealed the deal on our home. All papers have been signed. We no longer live here...

...in this beautiful home on ten acres in Indiana. Now we live here...


...and we are happier than we've ever been. We are waiting to hear on whether or not we can buy the Florida house that we are staying in right now. If so, this will be our daily view...

...from the left hand side of the back yard. 


This is the view from the right hand side of the back yard. This view alone makes the house irrelevant doesn't it?

Even though we call Nowhere our home right now, we are incredibly grateful just to be in Florida. Our trip from Indiana to Florida was more than adventurous. I'll share that in my next post. 

Now that you know a little bit about us can you guess which one we decided to go with? Don't be shy,go ahead leave a comment and let me know which you think we decided to go with, moving ourselves or hiring a mover?


1 comment:

  1. Well, if it were Mike's decision, he would hire a mover and be like, everything will be fine....but I'm guessing that you wanted movers, then you Cal Trans them.....making sure everything was done to your specifications....each teacup double wrapped and placed exactly as you want and packed as you would pack them. This is really cool. You're a fantastic writer!! Thanks for sharing!! Manny

    ReplyDelete